To show the world their solidarity when it comes to dealing with the threat coming from North Korea, Japan, South Korea and the United States released a joint statement on Monday after trilateral talks with high-ranking officials. They said that the reclusive state “will pay the price” if they carry out another nuclear test despite warnings from the international community and the United Nations.
“North Korea’s nuclear test would be a direct challenge to the international community, and a threat to peace and security in the world,” said Hwang Joon-kook, South Korea’s nuclear envoy after he met with his Japanese and US counterparts, Junichi Ihara and Glyn Davies. He added that the three countries will come up with “united and effective” efforts in order to contain the constant threat from Pyongyang, as they refuse to do away with their nuclear and missile tests. But they are also committed to restarting the six-party talks, which also includes China and Russia, in order to finally convince North Korea to abandon its nuclear program in exchange for political and economic returns from the five other countries.
The US State Department also released a statement to urge Pyongyang from making any more “threatening actions.” “These discussions reflect the close ongoing cooperation between our three countries, as well as our common values and interests across the Asia-Pacific region,” it said. The statement also affirmed the commitment of all three countries to address the human rights violation issues in North Korea, so that the international community will focus on holding them responsible for the “systematic and ongoing violations of the human rights of its people.” Their meeting comes after the unprecedented trilateral summit between the three countries’ top leaders, Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, South Korea’s President Park Geun-Hye and US President Barack Obama last month on the sidelines of the nuclear summit at The Hague.
[ via Yonhap News ]