Inspired by the reunion of the parents of Megumi Yokota and their granddaughter, the Japanese government has strengthened their resolve to get to the bottom of the issue of the abduction of Japanese nationals by Pyongyang during the 70s and 80s. Despite North Korea’s stand that they have already settled the issue, Japan will ask them to reinvestigate the whereabouts of the abductees, including Megumi, who was 13 at the time of the kidnapping.
“We are determined to resolve the abduction issue at any cost,” said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Monday. He said he felt very emotional upon learning of Shigeru and Sakie Yokota’s meeting with their 26-year-old granddaughter, Kim Eun Gyong, for the very first time earlier this month. Megumi became the symbol for the cry for justice of the abducted Japanese nationals and despite the fact that North Korea claims that she committed suicide in the 90s, this is something both her family and the government does not believe.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that during the meeting, which happened in Mongolia from March 10-14, the Yokotas did not receive any information about the whereabouts of Megumi. “Even if (Eun Gyong) knew something, she wouldn’t be able to say much about it. So we didn’t touch on the subject,” Shigeru shared with reporters during a press conference on Monday.
Keiji Furuya, the state minister in charge of the abduction issue, reiterated their stand to bring back all the abductees at any cost and they are determined to continue negotiating with the reclusive state on this issue. They will be pressing the issue during another informal talk with officials from both foreign ministries on Wednesday, on the sidelines of their Red Cross societies two-day meeting this week.
[ via Yomiuri ]