Check out our weekend recap for the top news and stories from Sunday, September 2nd, through Saturday, September 8th, seen as week 36 of 2012. We’re still hard at work on our iOS app, but Android users can get our Japan Daily Press app for free on Google’s Play Marketplace. You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook for all your “liking” and “following” social network needs.
– A hacking group known as “NullCrew” have taken responsibility for releasing 400 names and emails of Sony Mobile customers after breaching the company’s servers.
– Another tragic suicide in relation to bullying, as a 12 year old boy in Sapporo ended his own life after jumping from the top of an apartment building.
– The Japanese government quickly and quietly passed the anti-piracy bill known as ACTA this week, catching the attention of the nation’s internet supporters.
– A club in Roppongi, Tokyo experience an act of violence that only took about two minutes when ten masked men burst in, confronted a man at a table, and then beat him to death using pipes and metal bats.
– The Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) stated its future energy policy would work towards a goal of zero nuclear reliance, but is it really nothing more than an empty campaign promise before the upcoming party elections?
– The Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircrafts purchase by All Nippon Airways (ANA) were ground this week after an initial flight to Tokyo was halted because of white fumes coming from one of the engines.
– A taxi driver prevented the escape of a college student who had forced a 12 year old girl at knifepoint to get into a travel bag, and then placed her in the car’s trunk.
– A price of $26 million has been agreed upon for the purchase of the Senkaku Islands as the Japanese government announced its deal and its expected competition before the end of the month.
– U.S. conglomerate General Electric announced its entry into the Japanese power generation market, explaining that its looking to offer its equipment and services, but also hinting that the interest in maintaining nuclear reactors.
– Police arrested a 23 year old for kidnapping a 7 year old girl, and then holding her captive in an apartment with the body of his murdered father.
Comments Off on JDP Startup Corner: Pros & Cons of Working with a Partner in Japan