The South Korean Foreign Ministry said on Sunday that North Korea test-fired 25 missiles into the Sea of Japan. This is the latest in Pyongyang’s newest round of provocative activities that coincide with the annual South Korean-US military exercises that started last month.
Officials from the ministry said that the rockets were launched from the east coast and then flew over 70 kilometers into the Sea of Japan. The initial test was 10 rockets at around 6:20 PM, then eight more at 8:03 PM, with the last batch of seven which were released at 9:30 PM. North Korea has not made secret their condemnation of the joint military exercise and just two days before the rocket launch, their National Defence Commission said they will be showing off their nuclear deterrence power in protest. “The US had better roll back its worn-out hostile policy towards (North Korea) as soon as possible and shape a new realistic policy before it is too late,” their statement read.
Ever since Pyongyang’s series of missile launches in late February and early March, Seoul says they have been closely watching their neighbour for any trace of even more dangerous actions. They refer to this latest launch as a “reckless provocation” and the United States has called for a stop to these tests. Analysts from Seoul are saying Pyongyang now has three options: to conduct another nuclear test which will be their fourth; to fire a long-range rocket or to make a statement about their uranium programme.
[ via ABC ]