Japanese figure skater Daisuke Takahashi has decided to still use the music from disgraced “composer” Mamoru Samuragochi for his short program as he vies for a gold medal in the Sochi Winter Olympics. This, despite the current controversy involving the man who was called “Japan’s Beethoven” after admitting that he did not compose his own music.
At this point, he has little choice in the matter since he has been rehearsing with “Sonatina for Violin” for some time now and Samuragochi‘s confession came just a week before he was scheduled to perform it during the men’s short program on Thursday. However, the Japan Skating Federation said that the composer’s name will be omitted from the program when Takahashi performs, although they are not sure how it will actually appear on-screen when it will be broadcasted to the international audience.
Takahashi told reporters on Sunday that he was surprised when the news broke out last week, but said that he still thinks the musical piece is “fantastic” and he is now focusing on how he will be able to interpret it on the ice. His management released a statement after Samuragochi’s confession, saying “This is an important time before the Olympics—he will do what needs to be done in earnest ahead of the main competition.”
After Samuragochi released the statement admitting he hired a ghostwriter to compose his music, a university lecturer came out and said he has been the one behind the music for the past 18 years. He also claims that the supposedly deaf composer does not actually have a hearing defect. However, Samuragochi’s lawyers have denied the accusation.
[ via Wall Street Journal ]