South Korea‘s Foreign Ministry has lodged a formal complaint through diplomatic channels, asking the Japanese government to take down a video posted on YouTube that supports Japan’s claims over the disputed Takeshima Islands, otherwise known as Dokdo. The South Korean-controlled islets have been a source of tension between the neighbours for some time now, but bilateral relations have been particularly strained the past year.
The 87-second viral clip was posted on the video sharing site last October 16 and Seoul says that it contains “baseless territorial claims” over the uninhabited islets, saying they “demand the video be deleted immediately.” Their official statement also said they will be increasing their efforts to let the international community know that there is no doubt that Dokdo is theirs. The ministry emphasized that it is provocative actions like this that has prevented Seoul and Tokyo from fixing their diplomatic ties, which have also been further hampered by lingering historical issues.
The Japanese video shows that even as far back as the 17th century, Japan had already set their ownership over Takeshima, which was reconfirmed in 1905. But South Korea illegally seized them in 1952 when their then president Syngman Rhee set what is now called Syngman Line. According to a Korean news agency, before this controversial video, there was a more than 12-minute video also posted on YouTube that refutes Japan’s claims by showing the historical and geological basis of South Korea’s ownership of the islands.
[ via Global Post ]
Comments Off on JDP Startup Corner: Pros & Cons of Working with a Partner in Japan